SubjectInitramfs
Date
I would like to start off by thanking everybody for their help with my last
question, Much appreciated.

I am currently testing kernel 2.6.0-test3, specifically the initramfs feature,
under VMWare

Upon booting I get the following:

Dentry cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 8196 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
->(three characters, an 'o' with an I superimposed, a carat^, and a white
smilyface)
Kernel panic: populate_root: bogus mode: 0

In idle task - not syncing

===Creation details - verbose===

I have created a directory tree on my system that I would like to use as a
root fs. I then created (from the root of that structure) the cpio archive
by using
find | cpio -ov > ../filesystem.cpio
cd ..
gzip -9 filesystem.cpio
I then copied the file into the proper location in the source tree, compiled
and had everything boot nicely.

I used syslinux to boot the kernel from a disk (only way I could get it to
work on the virtual disk image to boot under VMWare)

===End of Creation details===

How would you suggest I go about fixing this problem, or do you require more
information? Also, is there a good detailed FAQ or a HOWTO document available
online that I might be able to refer to?

Once again, thank you for your assistance.

Garrett Kajmowicz
gkajmowi@tbaytel.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.118 / U:5.400 seconds]