SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] let broken drivers depend on BROKEN{,ON_SMP}
On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 11:15:25AM +0200, Tomas Szepe wrote:
> > [bunk@fs.tum.de]

> > > The keyword in this sentence is "stable."
> > > Could you maybe come up with this again at around 2.6.40? :)
> >
> > The first stable kernel of the 2.6 kernel series will be 2.6.0.
>
> There are going to be a zillion drivers that don't compile by the
> time 2.6.0 is released, which is precisely when lkml will see a whole
> new wave of people willing to fix things so I really don't think
> hiding the problems behind CONFIG_BROKEN or whatever is reasonable.

Note that we aren't talking about problems that ae easy to fix, such
problems are already fixed. We are talking about drivers that are broken
for many months.

Besides this, "a whole new wave of people willing to fix things" isn't
necessarily positive - for several of the broken drivers there were
alredy broken "fixes" posted. Some of these drivers need a non-trivial
fix by someone who knows what he is doing.

> Tomas Szepe <szepe@pinerecords.com>

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.