SubjectRe: File access
Date
I actually had a character interface which I use for on the fly
configuration. I have now implemented some code which uses a user process to
pass the configuration to the driver. I have however run into problems trying
to write files from the driver. I have tried implementing a user process
which performs a blocking read. The user process is blocked with
interruptible_sleep_on and is woken by the main part of the driver when it
needs to write. The problem is I then need to stall the main part of the
driver while the data gets written out. My problem is that this write needs
to happen from an interrupt handler or a timer process. I cannot seem to
block these with interruptible_sleep_on, the kernel crashes. I guess you
cannot use this in these cases ? I have also tried semaphores without much
success. I have looked for the howto but failed there also.

Could you please tell me where I could find this FAQ.

Many Thanks

Simon.

On Thursday 14 Aug 2003 1:07 pm, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Simon Haynes wrote:
> > I am currently developing a module which I would like to configure
> > via a simple text file.
> >
> > I cannot seem to find any information on accessing files via a kernel
> > module.
> >
> > Is this possible and if so how is it done ?
> >
> > Many Thanks
> >
> > Simon.
>
> This has become a FAQ. You make your module accept parameters
> from an ioctl(). Then you use a user-mode task to read file(s)
> and configure your module.
>

> Cheers,
> Dick Johnson
> Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).
> Note 96.31% of all statistics are fiction.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.131 / U:1.316 seconds]