    SubjectRe: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices
    Date
    In article <20030819112912.359eaea6.davem@redhat.com>,
    David S. Miller <davem@redhat.com> wrote:
    | On 19 Aug 2003 14:30:26 -0400
    | Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@fprintf.net> wrote:
    |
    | > If you are not on a shared lan, then it will *ONLY* work if linux is
    | > on the other end. No other system will work.
    |
    | And these other systems are broken. (actually, older Cisco equipment
    | correctly responds to the ARP regardless of source IP)
    |
    | Just because some Cisco engineer says that it is correct doesn't
    | make it is.

    What you say is true, but in the real world being able to work with the
    most commonly used network hardware is a hard requirement. When
    "conforms to RFC" colides with "works" there's an issue, particularly
    when the RFC allows several behaviours (bad RFC!).

    I would hope that it is possible to get a single flag to force all
    packets out of a NIC configured with the source IP in the packet, I
    don't feel the need to make that the default behaviour, just to find
    some alternative to patches or source routing.
    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc