SubjectRE: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices
Date
David S. Miller wrote:
> > Which nicely sums up the bug, really.
>
> Ok, then how would you propose to be able to send
> packets out an interface _before_ we have addresses
> assigned to it?

IP packets you mean? You don't? ;) It would depend on why you're
doing it naturally. Mostly, I'd have thought that if a host doesn't have an
IP number it doesn't get to use ARP.

> Linux allows that, and in fact it's a useful feature.
>
> Consider MSG_DONTROUTE as well.

Irrelevant, ARP should stick to resolving Layer 2 issues, not be
misused as some Layer 3 routeing protocol.

> BTW, this ARP source address algorithm we use comes from
> ipv6, it would be instructive to go and see why they do
> things the way they do.

If you'd like to give me a reference, I'd be happy to look at the
spec. It doesn't matter where you got the concept from, though - it's
flawed.

Richard

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.038 / U:2.252 seconds]