    SubjectRe: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices
    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:51:05 -0700
    "David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> wrote:

    > On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:54:26 +0100
    > Richard Underwood <richard@aspectgroup.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > When a HOST sends out an ARP request, it's NOT associated with a
    > > single connection, it's associated with the host. Why should it pick a
    > > "random" IP number to send as the source address?
    >
    > It's not "random", it is using the IP address it intends
    > to use as the source in packets it will output once the
    > ARP completes.
    >
    > In fact, if you look at the code in arp_solicit(), the source address
    > is coming directly from the packet we are trying to output.

    Well, then you have a problem, at least with RFC-985 as quoted in my other
    email.
    If your host has two interfaces on two different pyhsical nets and host A from
    net A shall be contacted by a service bound to your interface on net B you will
    obviously send an arp request with a source ip from wrong subnet.
    I did not read the code, I take your code explanation as true, of course.
    It is very likely you will not receive a valid answer in this case:

    <quote RFC-985>
    An ARP request is discarded if the source IP address is not in the same subnet.
    </quote>

    Regards,
    Stephan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.022 / U:247.632 seconds]