SubjectRe: [RFC] ioctl vs xattr for the filesystem specific attributes
jw schultz <jw@pegasys.ws> writes:

> > >This read/modify the file attributes of filesystem specific via xattr
> > >interface (in this case, ARCHIVE, SYSTEM, HIDDEN flags of fatfs).
> > >
> > >Yes, also we can provide it via ioctl like ext2/ext3 does now.
> > >
> > >But if those flags provides by xattr interfaces and via one namespace
> > >prefix, I guess the app can save/restore easy without dependency of
> > >one fs.
> > >
> > >Which interface would we use for attributes of filesystem specific?
> > >Also if we use xattr, what namepace prefix should be used?
> > >
> > >Any idea?

> I suggested something like this to Andreas Gruenbacher in
> March. We dialoged briefly about it and I've heard nothing
> since.

> > I like the ideas that the patch seems to propose.
> > Infact I'd like to see the use of xattr used for non-standard attributes
> > applied to all fs.
> > Specifically, I want to backup all partitions, and attribs from one OS:
> > Linux. I do not want to loose fat attributes during backup.
> > This would also be useful for the Wine developers.

I think, at least we are agreed that xattr interface would be good for
the following operation.

# ls /mnt
resierfs_mnt ext2_mnt vfat_mnt foo_mnt bar_mnt
# archiver --create --file /backup/file_has_all_data /mnt

Thanks.
--
OGAWA Hirofumi <hirofumi@mail.parknet.co.jp>