SubjectRe: Centrino support
Brandon Stewart wrote:
> I thought that this line of argument was due to FCC regulations. That
> is, software settings would allow the hardware to violate frequency or
> strength-of-signal limitations set by government regulations. This is
> only from memory, so feel free to correct.

This does not in any way prevent them from releasing a driver,
open or closed source. It merely makes tampering with
the driver illegal.

And it doesn't prevent them from merely releasing programming specs
if they're too cheap to make a driver either. Of course whoever
programs the driver will then have to get approved
by the bureaucracy himself, or leave it to some linux vendor
before it can be (legally) used.

No driver _and_ no specs means they aren't supporting linux
at the moment.

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.120 / U:2.128 seconds]