    SubjectRe: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices
    Carlos Velasco wrote:

    >On 17/08/2003 at 16:28 Alan Cox wrote:
    >

    >>Linux doesn't issue "bad" requests. Linux will reply when it is
    >>asked for an address that it owns, as per RFC826, unless you chose
    >>to change the behaviour with things like arpfilter.
    >>

    >We are not talking about ARP Replies, we are talking about ARP
    >Requests.
    >You can see the Richard post here, same issue I reported several weeks
    >ago:
    >http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-net&m=106094924813337&w=2
    >
    >==
    > On eth0, we see:
    >
    >11:23:55.650514 0:4:75:ca:c4:ef Broadcast arp 42: arp who-has
    >10.10.10.1
    >tell 212.xxx.yyy.9
    >==
    >
    >Linux is sending an ARP Request to a LAN where the source IP address of
    >the packet has not any sense in that IP network.
    >And, at least, 2 RFCs are stating that other devices should not reply
    >to this packet. Currently know Cisco, Foundry; possibly others, and
    >possibly others coming as ARP storms are not desired.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Carlos Velasco
    >

    >-

    Check out: http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/docs/arp.html. I
    understand the problem you're talking about. It's not a 'bug', it's a
    feature! You need to use the hidden interface approach to have the back
    end system not broadcast it's MAC for the virtual IP.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.023 / U:98.896 seconds]