SubjectRe: [RFC] ioctl vs xattr for the filesystem specific attributes
On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 07:14:28PM +0100, Rob North wrote:
> OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >Bastien Roucaries <roucariesbastien@yahoo.fr> writes:
> >

> >>This patch implement an "extended attributes" (XATTR) hook in aim to read
> >>or
> >>modify specific fatfs flags' like ARCHIVE or SYSTEM.
> >>
> >>I believe it's a good idea because :
> >> - PAX ( GNU replacement of tar) save and restore XATTRs, so you can
> >> make more
> >>exact save of FATfs without use of specific programs.
> >> - It's an elegant means to avoid use of mattrib.
> >> - Samba can use this .
> >>but CONS :
> >> - use 2 Kb of kernel memory.
> >

> >Bastien Roucaries <roucariesbastien@yahoo.fr> writes:
> >

> >>Indeed some flags are shared by many namespace for instance immutable is
> >>shared by xfs,ext2/3,jfs and by the fat ( with a special mount option).
> >>Compress also is a very common flag
> >>This flags are in the "common" sub-namespace.
> >>
> >>But some are fs specifics for instance notail attr of reiserfs,shortname
> >>of fat.They are in the the "spec"sub-namespace
> >

> >I received the above email.
> >
> >This read/modify the file attributes of filesystem specific via xattr
> >interface (in this case, ARCHIVE, SYSTEM, HIDDEN flags of fatfs).
> >
> >Yes, also we can provide it via ioctl like ext2/ext3 does now.
> >
> >But if those flags provides by xattr interfaces and via one namespace
> >prefix, I guess the app can save/restore easy without dependency of
> >one fs.
> >
> >Which interface would we use for attributes of filesystem specific?
> >Also if we use xattr, what namepace prefix should be used?
> >
> >Any idea?
> >
> >Thanks.

I suggested something like this to Andreas Gruenbacher in
March. We dialoged briefly about it and I've heard nothing
since.

> I like the ideas that the patch seems to propose.
> Infact I'd like to see the use of xattr used for non-standard attributes
> applied to all fs.
> Specifically, I want to backup all partitions, and attribs from one OS:
> Linux. I do not want to loose fat attributes during backup.
> This would also be useful for the Wine developers.
>

> If you haven't got a response to your questions, maybe make your own
> decisions and submit a patch anyway.
>

> One question:
> How does the patch deal with the fact that only some named xattrs are
> permitted?
>
> I see 2 options:
> 1. all files/dirs in fat mount posess fat-specific xattrs. These xattrs
> are initialised at file/dir create. No further attribs can be added,
> none can be deleted. the fat attribute's Boolean value is defined by
> extended attribute's value.
> 2. all fat-specific attribs are optional, absence/presence defines
> boolean value. All operations are permitted, but can only add the
> fat-specific attributes.
>
> I prefer option 1, as it makes clear what attributes are available.

My suggested approach was to only read and write the
attributes as a complete set. Modification would require a
read, modify what is read, write. The EA name i suggested
was system.file-attr. Unsupported attributes would be
silently ignored (no error). If you wished to save unsupported
attributes for use in a foreign filesystem they could be
preserved in a user.* attribute.

The primary purpose of my suggestion was backups and file
transfers but this could easily be built on to make a
chattr/mattrib type utility that is filesystem agnostic.

The following is extracted from my portions of the exchange.

| It occurred to me that it might be desirable to added a
| facility to the extended attributes to allow reading and
| setting (as a block) the ext2 file attributes.
|
| I'm referring to the file attributes mentioned in the chattr
| command.
|
| Adding this facility would allow saving and restoring of
| these attributes with utilities not having specific ext[23]
| support.
|
| I'd suggest using long attribute names consistent with mount
| options with comma delimiters. I'd suggest the names:
| noatime
| append
| compress
| nodump
| immutable|readonly
| journal
| zero|scrub
| sync
| notail
| undelete

To this you could add archive, system and hidden for FAT.

J.W. Schultz Pegasystems Technologies
email address: jw@pegasys.ws

Remember Cernan and Schmitt