SubjectRe: Centrino support
Date
>>>>> "Stephan" == Stephan von Krawczynski <skraw@ithnet.com>:
Stephan> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:46:19 -0400
Stephan> Brandon Stewart <rbrandonstewart@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> I thought that this line of argument was due to FCC
>> regulations. That is, software settings would allow the hardware to
>> violate frequency or strength-of-signal limitations set by
>> government regulations. This is only from memory, so feel free to
>> correct.

Stephan> I think I have read in an earlier thread something the like.
Stephan> But I cannot understand how this can be logically linked to
Stephan> releasing docs. If all companies would follow this thought
Stephan> e.g. Siemens would never have released the docs for ISDN
Stephan> chipsets and therefore no ISDN drivers would be in the
Stephan> kernel. I'd rather say someone with money is afraid ...

Yes, that sounds rather ridiculous. Sooner or later someone is going to
reverse-engineer the thing, so not releasing drivers or specs just
delays this moment. If there's a manager at Intel that thinks this way,
he doesn't understand much about security.

[...]

Stephan> Some political explosives are in this thread ...

Politically, this sounds to me like an antitrust case against Intel and
Microsoft handed on a platter. A major hardware manufacturer releases
information and software only to one dominating software company, while
locking out the others.

Unfortunately, we live in a world of compromises. If I were RedHat, I'd
stay real quiet and play nice in order to get Intel's cooperation on
servers (which brings revenue) instead of fighting for laptops (which is
a niche market for Linux, in a chicken-and-egg sort of way).

It's rather sad.

--J.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.111 / U:0.156 seconds]