    SubjectRe: 2.4.22pre6aa1
    On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 09:12:00PM +0400, Sergey S. Kostyliov wrote:
    > Hello Andrea,
    >
    > On Friday 25 July 2003 23:02, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > > Hi Sergey,
    > >
    > > On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 03:10:59PM +0400, Sergey S. Kostyliov wrote:
    > > > I doubt it depends on bigpages because they
    > > > are not used in my setup. But I can live with that. Rule: do not run
    > > > `swapoff -a` under load doesn't sound as impossible in my case (if this
    > > > is the only way to trigger this problem).
    > >
    > > can you reproduce it with 2.4.21rc8aa1? If not, then likely it's a
    > > 2.5/2.6 bug that went in 2.4 during the backport. I spoke with Hugh an
    > > hour ago about this, he will soon look into this too.
    >
    > Sorry for late responce. I wasn't able to reproduce neither oops nor
    > lockup with 2.4.21rc8aa1.

    ok good. I'm betting it's the shm backport that destabilized something.
    I had no time to look further into it during vacations ;), but the first
    suspect thing I mentioned to Hugh during OLS was this:

    static void shmem_removepage(struct page *page)
    {
    if (!PageLaunder(page))
    shmem_free_blocks(page->mapping->host, 1);
    }

    It's not exactly obvious how the accounting should change in function of
    the Launder bit. I mean, a writepage can happen even w/o the launder
    bitflag set (if it's not invoked by the vm) and I don't see how a msync
    or a vm pressure writepage trigger should be different in terms of
    accounting of the blocks in an inode.

    Overall I need a bit more of time on Monday to digest the whole backport
    to be sure of what's going on and if the above is right after all.

    Andrea

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.022 / U:60.460 seconds]