    Subject[BUG] slab debug vs. L1 alignement
    Currently, when enabling slab debugging, we lose the property of
    having the objects aligned on a cache line size.

    This is, imho, an error, especially if GFP_DMA is passed. Such an
    object _must_ be cache alined (and it's size rounded to a multiple
    of the cache line size).

    There is a simple performance reason on cache coherent archs, but
    there's also the fact that it will just _not_ work properly on
    non cache-coherent archs. Actually, I also have to deal with some
    old machines who have a SCSI controller who has a problem accessing
    buffers that aren't aligned on a cache line size boundary.

    This is typically causing me trouble in various parts of SCSI which
    abuses kmalloc(512, GFP_KERNEL | GFP_DMA) for buffers passed to some
    SCSI commands, typically "utility" commands used to read a disk
    capacity, read read/write protect flags, some sense buffers, etc...

    While I know SCSI shall use the consistent alloc things, it has not
    been fully fixed yet and kmalloc with GFP_DMA is still valid despite
    not beeing efficient, so we should make sure in this case, the returned
    buffer is really suitable for DMA, that is cache aligned.

    Ben.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.075 / U:59.748 seconds]