    SubjectRe: Input issues - key down with no key up
    On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 12:58:02PM +0200, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

    > > > I have a notebook (Dell Latitude D800) which has some keys (actual
    > > > fn+something combinations) that generate Down events but no Up events
    > > > (clever, isn't it).
    > > > This makes those keys unusable with 2.6.0 as it is

    > > I think we should go for the simple fix: only enable the timer-induced
    > > repeat when the user asks for that (say, by boot parameter).
    > > The keyboard already knows which keys repeat and which don't.

    > That won't solve it - the key, while not repeating would be still
    > considered 'down' by the kernel and any more pressing of the key
    > wouldn't do anything.

    Yes, it would still be considered down. But that does not imply
    that pressing it doesnt do anything. It is up to the driver
    to discard key presses, and I think it shouldnt.
    (Unless of course the user asks for that behaviour - it may be required
    on some broken laptops.)

    Just the simple: a keypress generates an interrupt and we see a keystroke.

    Use a kernel timer only when we know or the user tells us that it is needed.
    Not in the default situation.

    > My proposed solution is to do an input_report_key(pressed) immediately
    > followed by input_report_key(released) for these keys straight in
    > atkbd.c. Possibly based on some flag in the scancode->keycode table for
    > that scancode.

    But that would require users to report on precisely which keys are affected
    and would give complications where I suppose 2.4 did not have any.
    This is the way towards an ever more complicated keyboard driver.
    Not what you would want.

    Andries

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:3.149 / U:0.028 seconds]