    SubjectRe: KDB in the mainstream 2.4.x kernels?
    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:43:57 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:

    > KDB is usually not useful for debugging hangs on desktop boxes (and even
    > many servers) because you have usually X running. When the machine crashes
    > and goes in KDB you cannot see the text output and debug anything. I
    > learned to type "go<return>" blind when I had still an KDB aware kernel,
    > but it's not very useful overall.

    Perhaps in the case where the console is on a vt, kdb could try to
    switch to the right vc before presenting its prompt? I realize calling into
    the vc code might be risky but it seems like there's not much to lose.
    (If you do have a bug in say the agp driver then you need a serial
    console...) If it works, you'll be able to debug and continue.

    It could even set the colors to white on blue. :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.019 / U:47.344 seconds]