    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] let broken drivers depend on BROKEN{,ON_SMP}
    On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 09:40:07PM +0100, John Bradford wrote:
    > > > The people who want Linux to be reliable won't be compiling their own
    > > > kernels, typically. Because, the people that _do_ compile their own
    > > > kernels have sense enough to disable broken drivers :) That's what Red
    > > > Hat, SuSE, and others do today.
    > >
    > > It occurs quite often that you need e.g. the latest -pre or -ac to
    > > support some of your hardware.
    > >
    > > These are situations when an average systems administrator has to
    > > compile his on kernel.
    >
    > That is true. The point is that I don't see how adding an arbitrary
    > dependency on a CONFIG_BROKEN option actually helps in any way.
    > compile, there is a problem anyway. If they are hidden under a
    > CONFIG_BROKEN option, it's just an extra step to enable them, then
    > compile with them enabled to get an error to post to LKML.

    You don't accidentially enable such an option.

    Currently, I see every day reports about compile errors on
    linux-kernel - reports for errors that are known and unfixed since
    several months.

    A dependency on BROKEN is a clear mark that a compile error is already
    known.

    My personal opinions:
    - Ideally, every valid configuration should result in a kernel that
    both compiles and works.
    - Every compile error gives a bad impression of the quality of the
    Linux kernel.

    Current 2.4 kernels are (on i386) relatively near to this ideal.

    It's not only a technical aspect, it's also a marketing aspect. With
    many broken drivers it's easy for people to argue against Linux using
    arguments like

    Look, what a crap Linux is, the developers even care whether the
    kernel compiles.

    > John.

    cu
    Adrian