SubjectRe: C99 Initialisers
Russell King wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 02:26:11PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
>>Again, my philosophy: put the data in its most natural form. In
>>CS-speak, domain-specific languages. So, just figure out what you want
>>the data files to look like, and I'll volunteer to write the parser for it.
>

> But what's the point of the extra complexity? People already put
> references to other structures in the driver_data element, and
> enums, so completely splitting the device IDs from the module
> source is not going to be practical.

enums are easy putting direct references would be annoying, but I also
argue it's potentially broken and wrong to store and export that
information publicly anyway. The use of enums instead of pointers is
practically required because there is a many-to-one relationship of ids
to board information structs.

> Are you thinking of a parser which outputs C code for the module to
> include? That might be made to work, but it doesn't sound as elegant
> as the solution being described previously in this thread.
>
> "Make the easy things easy (PCI_DEVICE(vendor,device)) and make the
> not so easy things possible (the long form)"

That ignores the people who also need to get at the data, which must
first be compiled from C into object code, then extracted via modutils,
then turned into a computer readable form again, then used.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.086 / U:2.652 seconds]