SubjectRe: High CPU load with kswapd and heavy disk I/O
Hi!

Ken Savage wrote:
> On Tue August 12 2003 16:49, Nuno Silva wrote:
>

>>My guess is that this is the cause. LOWMEM pressure because of very
>>large directories... Relating to this, linux-2.6.0-test3-mm1 has Ingo's
>>4G/4G memory split. Can you try this kernel, enable 4G/4G feature, and
>>report back?
>

> Something about the 2.6 (and the rmap patched 2.4) kernels causes
> lockouts on the server -- for reasons OTHER than kswapd. The server

If you want to help, you could try to gather more info on that to help
develope a better 2.6 ;)

FWIW, 2.6.0-test* with mm patches works well here... At least in a few
boxes.

> running the delete-old-files process runs hundreds of other CPU and disk
> I/O intensive processes/threads, and it doesn't look like 2.6 is yet able
> to handle the load. Unfortunately, the server is a production environment
> machine at a remote site, so lockouts/reboots/kernel panics are baaaad :(
>
> I've seen other mentions of kswapd/kupdated problems in 2.4.xx, but
> few mentions of solutions. Have people just learned to avoid the
> situations that trigger the mad thrashes?

If you're sure that it's really kswapd you can send SIGSTOP and SIGCONT
to kswapd's pid. Kswapd will honor those signals.

killall -STOP kswapd
<run your I/O intensive scripts>
killall -CONT kswapd

Sometimes I do this... For me it works well. If this makes your machine
crash or loose data, don't blame me! ;)

Regards,
Nuno Silva

> Ken
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.043 / U:0.780 seconds]