SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] let broken drivers depend on BROKEN{,ON_SMP}
On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:50:12AM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Tomas Szepe wrote:
>
> > There are going to be a zillion drivers that don't compile by the
> > time 2.6.0 is released, which is precisely when lkml will see a whole
> > new wave of people willing to fix things so I really don't think
> > hiding the problems behind CONFIG_BROKEN or whatever is reasonable.
>
> I can't follow your logic. This is now supposed to be a stable kernel, but
> you want to have a bunch of non-working drivers available to reduce
> confidence in it? If I have device X, why do you think I would need a
> driver less if it were marked BROKEN? A broken list would be a great
> starting point for people who are looking for something to do in 2.6.
>
> If you get a bunch of compiler errors without a clear indication that the
> driver is known to have problems, it is more likely to produce a "Linux is
> crap" reaction. With the problems Windows is showing this week, I'd like
> to show Linux as the reliable alternative, not whatever MS is saying about
> hacker code this week.

The people who want Linux to be reliable won't be compiling their own
kernels, typically. Because, the people that _do_ compile their own
kernels have sense enough to disable broken drivers :) That's what Red
Hat, SuSE, and others do today.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.090 / U:1.224 seconds]