SubjectRe: Linux 2.6 doesn't like Rhythmbox
On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 16:48, in7y118@public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:

> Let me explain how threads in Rhythmbox work: The main thread is used for the
> GUI, other threads (mostly idle) take care of the library - reading out
> artist/title/... tags and monitoring file changes so the playlists gets updated
> automagically - and then there is a playback thread. This thread is spawned
> when playback of a file starts (a new one for each file). It starts by
> inspecting the file and constructing a pipeline depending on the file type (ogg
> decoder vs mp3 decoder vs ...). This takes half a second, maybe less. After
> that it proceeds to do read - decode - output to soundcard looping until the
> song is done playing.
> The priority according to top starts becoming worse from the beginning of
> playback and gets worse during playback.
>

> My question now is simple: Who shall I blame for this?

Don't blame anyone still... There's still ongoing kernel scheduler work.
Please, try the latest -mm patches on top of 2.6.0-test3. You will find
them at ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches.

Experiment with 2.6.0-test3-mm1 to see if it still shows the behaviour
you described.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.090 / U:1.604 seconds]