SubjectRe: [patch] SCHED_SOFTRR starve-free linux scheduling policy ...
At Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:01:13 +0200,
Roger Larsson wrote:

> On Sunday 10 August 2003 07.43, Nick Piggin wrote:
> > Roger Larsson wrote:
> > >* SCHED_FIFO requests from non root should also be treated as SCHED_SOFTRR
> >
> > I hope computers don't one day become so fast that SCHED_SOFTRR is
> > required for skipless mp3 decoding, but if they do, then I think
> > SCHED_SOFTRR should drop its weird polymorphing semantics ;)
>
> After some tinking...
>
> Neither SCHED_FIFO nor SCHED_RR should automatically be promoted to
> SCHED_SOFTRR in the kernel.
>
> * If a process knows about SCHED_SOFTRR it should use that.
> (example: arts should use SCHED_SOFTRR not SCHED_FIFO)
> Problem: what to do when compiling for UN*Xes that does not have SOFTRR.
> [Is there any other UN*X that have something resembling of this? What do
> they call it?]
>
> * Cases where the code has not been modified should be handled by a wrapper
> (library). setscheduler is a weak symbol isn't it?

i agree here.

i understand it's introduced for convenience, but the apps are anyway
to be modified to adapt SOFTRR with normal users in most cases
(e.g. checking the uid, etc)...

Takashi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.080 / U:3.008 seconds]