SubjectRe: [patch] SCHED_SOFTRR starve-free linux scheduling policy ...

Mike Galbraith wrote:

> At 03:43 PM 8/10/2003 +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
>

>> Roger Larsson wrote:
>>
>>> * SCHED_FIFO requests from non root should also be treated as
>>> SCHED_SOFTRR
>>>

>> I hope computers don't one day become so fast that SCHED_SOFTRR is
>> required for skipless mp3 decoding, but if they do, then I think
>> SCHED_SOFTRR should drop its weird polymorphing semantics ;)
>

> :) My box is slow enough to handle them just fine, as long as I make
> sure that oinkers don't share the same queue with the light weight
> player.

Just my (unsuccessful) attempt at humor! I think SCHED_SOFTRR is great,
although probably fills a quite small niche between SCHED_OTHER and
the realtime scheduling while being a possibility for security problems
(don't know, maybe that that is sorted?). But...

Some of the people saying playback needs to be realtime are right for
absolutely 100%, but seem to have forgotten that their pentium 100 did
just fine, and that a skip now and again probably doesn't signal the
end of the world.

I think its fairly obvious that it indicates there are problems with
the general purpose scheduler. Thankfully it is getting addressed,
which makes this just a rant ;)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.092 / U:0.608 seconds]