SubjectRe: 2.6.x NFS and NFSD
> > 2.6.x as a server:
> > I'm using nfs-kernel-server v1.0.5-1 (debian).
> > Config Ops:
> > CONFIG_NFSD=m
> > CONFIG_NFSD_V3=y
> > # CONFIG_NFSD_V4 is not set
> > CONFIG_NFSD_TCP=y
> > CONFIG_LOCKD=m
> > CONFIG_LOCKD_V4=y << I didn't configure this, where'd it come
> > from?
>
> If either NFS_V3 or NFSD_V3, then LOCKD_V4 is automatically added.

Ok, I see.

> > CONFIG_EXPORTFS=m
> > CONFIG_SUNRPC=m
> > This is in /etc/exports:
> > / vegeta(rw,no_root_squash,async,nohide)
>
> "nohide" is incorrect here.

previous experience. IIRC, if I didn't have it on /, I couldn't see /usr,
/raid-0, or others (2.4.x).

> > ls, and ls hangs. client uses kernel 2.4.20 with NFSv3 enabled and it was
> > mounted v3.
>
> I have a hunch what this might be, and it'll require fixing both the
> kernel and nfs-utils ;-(
>
> Could you try using
> mount -t nfsd nfsd /proc/fs/nfs

This worked. Of course I also removed nohide from / and added the rest of
my FSs. There were 4 in all on this test machine. / /usr /usr/src and
/home. All are exported as above except / has nohide removed.

> before starting the nfs-kernel-server (particularly before starting
> mountd or running exportfs).
>
> Also, if you are brave, could you try with the following two patches,
> one against linux-2.6.0-test2 and one against nfs-utils. Then run the
> nfs kernel server *without* mounting /proc/fs/nfs first.

I did not try the patches. This work around seems to be what I was looking
for. I'll wait for the patches to be merged. I did not patch the
nfs-kernel-server either.

I tried 2.6.x as a client to a v2 server running the userland server. I do
get a ton of nfs not responding messages, but I did a find /mnt/usr on it.
Doesn't seem to be going into D state this time.