    SubjectRe: 2.6: races between modprobe and depmod in rc.sysinit
    Date
    In message <200307312145.01711.arvidjaar@mail.ru> you write:
    > the only reason I can imagine is that it hits depmod -A that runs in
    > rc.sysinit and does
    >
    > truncate /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.*
    > scan modules
    > write files
    >
    > So, quesitons
    >
    > - would anybody (Rusty?) object if I change depmod to do
    > build temp name
    > move temp name into original

    No, that's definitely my preferred method anyway: please send patch.
    Although I double this causes your problem here.

    > - Chmouel, Fred - is depmod on every boot really neccessary? When people
    > install modules they are expected to run it actually ...

    People get it wrong, and you still want them to boot. Increasingly we
    can live without depmod though: I might fix this in a near-future
    version to live without it.

    Cheers,
    Rusty.