SubjectRe: Promise SATA 150 TX2 plus
Milan Roubal wrote:

>So what about the main advantage of SATA, that is hot-swap?

Hot swap is really only in the second SATA spec. Also hotswap is
generally only support on scsi devices, usb devices, and raid controllers.

>Is it possible to make hotswap in the linux and change it for the
>same disk?

You used to be able to hot swap with sca scsi drives doing the following:

1)Echo some wierd command to /proc/scsi/scsi to remove the device.
2)Physically swap drives
3)Echo some wierd command to /proc/scsi/scsi to add the device.

See scsi.c 3rd, and 4th instances of the word "echo" for details.

Of course a number of scsi raid controllers support of replacing of
failed drives, and automagic rebuild on the new drive. This requires a
saf-te backplane, and a saf-te compatible raid controller.

In theroy you can do this on a 3ware pata, and sata controller with
the 7.6 firmware, the 7.6 cli, and ide hotswap backplane. Personally
I've never tried it with a jbod drive.

>Or is it possible to change it for other disk with other
>geometry? Is it depending on SATA controller or I only need
>support in the linux kernel? Is there that support for this
>controllers/drives?

If might be possible if you had a controller that supported the 2nd
sata spec, a hot swap drive carrier and used the ata-scsi driver. Then
the same echo trick for scsi might work. More likely bad things would
occur.

--
Once you have their hardware. Never give it back.
(The First Rule of Hardware Acquisition)