SubjectRe: ->direct_IO API change in current 2.4 BK
On Jul 09, 2003  13:31 +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> I just got a nice XFS oops due to the direct_IO API change in
> 2.4. Guys, this is a STABLE series and APIs are supposed to be exactly
> that, _STABLE_. If you really think O_DIRECT on NFS is soo important
> please add a ->direct_IO2 for NFS like the reiserfs read_inode2 hack.

I would have to agree with that sentiment - we shouldn't change the
API in an "almost compatible" way, although I would have hoped that
compile warnings and/or module symbol versioning would have avoided
a crash.

> But what's the use of it anyway? AFAIK it's mostly for whoracle setups
> that have their data on netapps but that needs a certified vendor kernel
> not mainline..

Actually, it is useful for Lustre to do this, because it allows us to have
a file handle (which, naturally, holds per-file data) at the time the IO is
sent over the wire, instead of the "anonymous" writes that happen now.
This helps us with readahead on the server and other minor improvements.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger