SubjectRe: 2.5.74-mm1
Date
On Tuesday 08 July 2003 02:29, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> > > That's not fiddling. It is tuning your app so that it won't require
> > > realtime when it is not needed.
> >
> > But realtime is needed, because there is a deadline for each buffer-fill.
>
> Yes, in theory it is needed since you have to meet a deadline. But if
> you program you timings such that your deadline is 400-500ms it is really
> hard to lose it against one of 50-100ms.

1. 400ms buffers are hated by users, as was noted previously. They are
passable for some applications, but way too laggy for others.

2. Even if you are will to have a 400-500 ms buffer, if you can prove that you
will always meet that deadline, then it's a realtime system.

3. If you can show logically that you will nearly always meet the deadline,
it's a soft realtime system. That's what we're after here. From a design
standpoint, there are elegant soft realtime systems, and there are sucky
ones.

4. So how do you propose to "program timings" so that it's really hard to miss
those deadlines?

Regards,

Daniel

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.242 / U:0.152 seconds]