    Subject2.4.21 ServerWorks DMA Bugs
    I've real the other threads but nothing touches on my specific issue.  I
    have a dual P4 Xeon Dell PowerEdge 1600SC with a Fusion MPT SCSI
    controller and a ServerWorks CSB5 IDE chipset. All the HDs are on the
    SCSI bus, and only my CD reader and my DVD writer are on the IDE bus (one
    on each channel). Hyperthreading is enabled (4 logical processors). I am
    using GCC 3.2.2.

    The CD readers is the blacklisted 'SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C' and I never use
    it so I can remove it if needed. The DVD writer is a 'SONY DVD RW
    DRU-500A'. Both are going through the ide-scsi driver. Whenever I
    read/write CDs in the DVD writer, I get very high system load (50% on one
    CPU), even though DMA seems to be enabled.

    In addition, I get horrible clock skew. After burning a 50 meg audio
    track, my clock is 10 seconds off. Enabled unmasked interrupts and 32 bit
    bus IO reduces the clock skew to about .1 seconds, but this adds up.

    I've tried everything, even downgrading to 2.4.20, although under 2.4.20 I
    can't seem to find an appropriate devfs entry to run hdparm on, so I'm
    unable to unmask interrupts and switch bus IO width. Not compiling the
    CSB5 driver doesn't make a difference either.

    Anyhow, anybody know what might be going on? Excerpts from the relevant
    files included below.

    Thanks, Ryan

    dmesg:
    Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00beta4-2.4
    ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
    SvrWks CSB5: IDE controller at PCI slot 00:0f.1
    SvrWks CSB5: chipset revision 147
    SvrWks CSB5: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0x08b0-0x08b7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0x08b8-0x08bf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
    hda: SONY DVD RW DRU-500A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    hdc: SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
    hdc: Disabling (U)DMA for SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C
    ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
    ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
    hda: attached ide-scsi driver.
    hdc: attached ide-scsi driver.
    scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
    Vendor: SONY Model: DVD RW DRU-500A Rev: 2.0c
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Vendor: SAMSUNG Model: CD-ROM SC-148C Rev: B105
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
    Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    Attached scsi CD-ROM sr1 at scsi1, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
    sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
    Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
    sr1: scsi3-mmc drive: 1x/48x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray

    .config:
    CONFIG_IDE=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_GENERIC=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
    CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SVWKS=y
    CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y

    CONFIG_SCSI=y
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
    CONFIG_SD_EXTRA_DEVS=40
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
    CONFIG_SR_EXTRA_DEVS=2
    CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m
    CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y

    CONFIG_FUSION=y
    CONFIG_FUSION_BOOT=y
    CONFIG_FUSION_MAX_SGE=40
    CONFIG_FUSION_ISENSE=m

    /proc/svwks (note that like others, this is being misidentified as only
    UDMA2 capable, when it should be UDMA5):

    ServerWorks OSB4/CSB5/CSB6

    ServerWorks CSB5 Chipset (rev 93)