SubjectRe: [patch] sched-2.6.0-test1-G6, interactivity changes

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> >Yes I can reproduce it, but we need the Kirk approach and cheat. Some
> >workaround for tasks that have fallen onto the expired array but shouldn't be
> >there needs to be created. But first we need to think of one before we can
> >create one...
>
> Oh good, it's not my poor little box. My experimental tree already has
> a "Kirk" ;-)

could you give -G7 a try:

redhat.com/~mingo/O(1)-scheduler/sched-2.6.0-test1-G7

Mr. Kirk was busy fixing the IDE code (a subsystem he loves to contribute
to) but i managed to get some code from Mr. Spock: it introduces
ON_RUNQUEUE_WEIGHT, set to 30% currently. Wakeups that come from IRQ
contexts get a 100% sleep average - most hw interrupts are of interactive
nature.

this method should result in process-context wakeups giving a limited but
load-proportional boost - which boost is enough to prevent such tasks from
getting max CPU hogs, but not enough to make them permanently interactive.

Ingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.097 / U:0.016 seconds]