SubjectRe: How is info->cmap supposed to work?

> Hi James,
> I have few problems with understanding how
> info->cmap is supposed to work:

Hi!

> (1) FBIOGETCMAP calls fb_copy_cmap(&info->cmap, &cmap, 0);
> Should not it use last argument of '2', as &cmap points
> to the userspace? It looks to me like that anybody can
> overwrite kernel currently... Only positive side is that
> there is no way to control info->cmap contents (see (2)),
> so you can only crash kernel with random code, you cannot
> stuff some malicious code there.

I think I posted something about that some time ago and I didn't here
anything. Looking at the code I realized that yeap its broke. Its strange
that both fb_set_cmap and fb_copy_cmap can get data from userland. I would
think that we either have fb_set_cmap just set the video hardware or
have fb_set_cmap be able to grab data from userland and fb_copy_cmap send
data to userland.

> (2) FBIOPUTCMAP calls fb_set_cmap, which in turn calls
> fb_setcolreg.

True.

> FBIOGETCMAP copies cmap entries from
> info->cmap (after fixing (1)). Does it mean that
> fb_setcolreg has to fill info->cmap itself?

No. At present all the drivers initialize a default cmap. Then it
doesn't matter which function gets called first.

> Is not it
> a bit ugly? And fb_set_cmap documentation is incorrect:
> kspc == 0 means copy from userspace, while
> kspc != 0 means copy "local", inside kernel-space. Documentation
> says that 0 is local, while 1 is get_user.

:-( I have to look to see if that has been around for a while. I have a
feeling it has been.

> (3) And who is supposed to initialize info->cmap, and to
> what value? It looks to me like that fbdev driver is
> supposed to do:
>
> memset(&info->cmap, 0, sizeof(info->cmap));
> fb_alloc_cmap(&info->cmap, 256, 1);
>
> Is it right? What about fb_init_cmap() then? And why
> fbdev has to play with info->cmap, cannot generic
> layer take a care of this, if all info->cmap accesses
> go through generic layer, and fbdev driver itself has
> no need for this field?

The reason for the driver initalizing the default cmap is because
we don't know how big the actual colormap will be. I don't know if
the generic method of setting to color map to 2^bpp until above 8 bpp
mode in which case we only set 16 colors will always work. Perhaps we
could just set the cmap.len field and have the upper layer just generate
from that.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.320 / U:0.316 seconds]