    SubjectRe: time for some drivers to be removed?
    > once upon a time, i suggested having more than one level of module
    > "quality". at the moment, some kernel code is marked as "EXPERIMENTAL"=
    > ,
    > but this is supported via a regular dependency when it doesn't really
    > qualify as a dependency. dependencies are typically used to refer to
    > dependencies on other *code*, not some abstract level of goodness
    > like "EXPERIMENTAL".
    >
    > perhaps it's time to add another category with values like OBSOLETE,
    > DEPRECATED, EXPERIMENTAL, BROKEN(?) and so on. by default, the
    > quality would be regular, or something like that.

    _NO_!!!

    This is a _bad thing_, if a distribution wants to do it to their tree,
    fine, but why add extra layers of complexity that a lot of devlopers
    don't care about just so that the source tree 'looks nice'? It's
    absolutely pointless, and irritating for anybody actually trying to
    work on the codebase.

    > and in the end, while i know some folks don't think it's a big
    > deal, i think doing a "make allyesconfig" really should work.

    It's _counter productive_ just to bodge it so that make allyesconfig
    works. I _want_ it to _fail_ if the drivers are _broken_.

    A CONFIG_KNOWN_BROKEN option is a good thing, in the case where,
    E.G. a SCSI driver is broken, and will randomly corrupt data, but
    otherwise compiles and appears to work. Apart from that, it's a
    complete waste of time to fiddle around with silly options that do
    nothing but bloat the codebase and waste developers' time.

    John.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.020 / U:0.180 seconds]