SubjectRe: SCO offers UnixWare licenses for Linux
Date
Hi,

<michael@seven-angels.net> escribi?:

> > > So they want to sell us something that still hasn't proved....cool.
> >
> > And can be rewritten from scratch if necessary... They're crazy!
>
> There seems to be a prevailing opinion that if there is stolen code in
> Linux that came from SCO owned code that all that needs to be done is
> to remove it and everything is fine. I don't think it works that way.
> If code was stolen and the fact that it is in Linux helped destroy
> SCO's business then SCO has the right to try and get damages. I.e.,
> Linux damaged SCO by using the code.
>
> It's also not a simple case of rewriting. _Assuming_ that there was
> something significant in Linux which came from SCO, i.e., they can make
> the case that the Linux community wouldn't have thought of it on their
> own, then you don't get to rewrite it because now you know how whatever
> "it" is works and you didn't before.
>
> The business world takes their IP seriously. If, and it is a big if,
> there is code in Linux from SCO, that's going to be a nasty mess to
> clean up and we had better all pray that IBM just buys them and puts
> Unix into the public domain. Otherwise I think SCO could force Linux
> backwards to whereever it was before the tainted code came in. If that
> happens, I (and I suspect a lot of you) will work to make sure that
> things which couldn't possibly be tainted (like drivers) do make it
> forward.
>
> If SCO prevails it won't be the end of the world. A lot of that
> scalability stuff is just a waste of time, IMO. 32 processor systems are
> dinosaurs that are going away and I'm not the only one who thinks so, Dell
> and IDC agree:
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1010_3-1027556.html
>
> Don't get me wrong, there are some cool things in 2.5 that we all want but
> if SCO puts a dent in the works Linux will recover and maybe be better.

I wish to know are we have backup plan any backup plan. Most of Linux users
are gonna worry.

Today I get a e mail from our local mailing lists. Says SCO sued Red Hat for
this. another one asks Can M$ send BSA to check their systems and request
licence money (because of buying SCO Unixware Licences).

Rumors everywhere, people can't track of all sources about SCO vs IBM(Linux)
case and each Rumor hurt us too badly. Every news people are gonna make worst
case scenario and this is preventing people to buy expensive linux server
systems (like rhas etc).

Of course Linux will live. I haven't got any question about it. But I fear
this case between SCO and IBM may hit Red Hat, Suse and others. I believe non
of these distros are disposable (uh oh expect Caldera/SCO).

Is there any way for backup plan?

I believe the backup plan will shut up SCO and burn those plans forever.

Waiting for IBM is not good idea.

Ps: I home my enlish enough to tell what I mean.. :)

Sancar "Delifisek" Saran

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.096 / U:1.004 seconds]