    SubjectRe: Re: kernel bug in socketpair()

    > On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:32:09 -0400 (EDT)
    > David Korn <dgk@research.att.com> wrote:
    >
    > [ Added netdev@oss.sgi.com, the proper place to discuss networking kernel issues
    > . ]
    >
    > > The first problem is that files created with socketpair() are not accessible
    > > via /dev/fd/n or /proc/$$/fd/n where n is the file descriptor returned
    > > by socketpair(). Note that this is not a problem with pipe().
    >
    > Not a bug.
    >
    > Sockets are not openable via /proc files under any circumstances,
    > not just the circumstances you describe. This is a policy decision and
    > prevents a whole slew of potential security holes.

    Thanks for you quick response.

    This make sense for INET sockets, but I don't understand the security
    considerations for UNIX domain sockets. Could you please elaborate?
    Moreover, /dev/fd/n, (as opposed to /proc/$$/n) is restricted to
    the current process and its decendents if close-on-exec is not specified.
    Again, I don't understand why this would create a security problem
    either since the socket is already accesible via the original
    descriptor.

    Finally if this is a security problem, why is the errno is set to ENXIO
    rather than EACCESS?

    David Korn
    dgk@research.att.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:2.695 / U:0.036 seconds]