    SubjectRe: 2.6-test1 startup messages?

    Yes I am using devfs and it's working with the exact same config under
    2.4.21 without the errors.

    Thus spake Ivan Gyurdiev (ivg2@cornell.edu):

    > Robert L. Harris wrote:
    > >
    > > I just converted a box to 2.6-test1. I've installed the
    > > module-init-tools
    > >per another thread on the list. Spread throughout the startup messages
    > >of the system (Debian Unstable) are messages that read:
    > >
    > >FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
    > >FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
    > >FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
    > >FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
    > >
    > >looking at /dev/tty* I have /dev/tty, /dev/tty0-tty63. There is no
    > >/dev/ttyS0 (serial console) or tts*.
    > >

    > Are you using devfs?
    > I get the same messages with devfs.
    > Looking up a /dev file that does not presently exist
    > or have a corresponding module results in the above warnings.
    > At boot time, on a redhat distro pam_console_apply tries to lookup
    > the devices specified in /etc/security/console.perms, which causes a
    > zillion warnings for me. The question is - are those warnings to correct
    > way to handle a devfs lookup of a nonexisting device. I don't remember
    > getting warnings under 2.4. Maybe I did, and just didn't notice (but I
    > doubt it). They're certainly annoying and I don't like them.
    >
    > P.S. Not a kernel developer - just a tester :)

    :wq!
    Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
    @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
    DISCLAIMER:
    These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

    Diagnosis: witzelsucht

    IPv6 = robert@ipv6.rdlg.net http://ipv6.rdlg.net
    IPv4 = robert@mail.rdlg.net http://www.rdlg.net

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.023 / U:0.920 seconds]