SubjectRe: 2.6-test1 startup messages?

Yes I am using devfs and it's working with the exact same config under
2.4.21 without the errors.

Thus spake Ivan Gyurdiev (

> Robert L. Harris wrote:
> >
> > I just converted a box to 2.6-test1. I've installed the
> > module-init-tools
> >per another thread on the list. Spread throughout the startup messages
> >of the system (Debian Unstable) are messages that read:
> >
> >FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
> >FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
> >FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
> >FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
> >
> >looking at /dev/tty* I have /dev/tty, /dev/tty0-tty63. There is no
> >/dev/ttyS0 (serial console) or tts*.
> >
> Are you using devfs?
> I get the same messages with devfs.
> Looking up a /dev file that does not presently exist
> or have a corresponding module results in the above warnings.
> At boot time, on a redhat distro pam_console_apply tries to lookup
> the devices specified in /etc/security/console.perms, which causes a
> zillion warnings for me. The question is - are those warnings to correct
> way to handle a devfs lookup of a nonexisting device. I don't remember
> getting warnings under 2.4. Maybe I did, and just didn't notice (but I
> doubt it). They're certainly annoying and I don't like them.
> P.S. Not a kernel developer - just a tester :)

Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
@ x-hkp://
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 =
IPv4 =
  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.064 / U:0.120 seconds]