SubjectRe: 2.6-test1 startup messages?
Robert L. Harris wrote:
> I just converted a box to 2.6-test1. I've installed the module-init-tools
> per another thread on the list. Spread throughout the startup messages
> of the system (Debian Unstable) are messages that read:
> FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
> FATAL: Module /dev/tts not found
> FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
> FATAL: Module /dev/ttsS?? not found
> looking at /dev/tty* I have /dev/tty, /dev/tty0-tty63. There is no
> /dev/ttyS0 (serial console) or tts*.

Are you using devfs?
I get the same messages with devfs.
Looking up a /dev file that does not presently exist
or have a corresponding module results in the above warnings.
At boot time, on a redhat distro pam_console_apply tries to lookup
the devices specified in /etc/security/console.perms, which causes a
zillion warnings for me. The question is - are those warnings to correct
way to handle a devfs lookup of a nonexisting device. I don't remember
getting warnings under 2.4. Maybe I did, and just didn't notice (but I
doubt it). They're certainly annoying and I don't like them.

P.S. Not a kernel developer - just a tester :)