SubjectRe: Suspend on one machine, resume elsewhere
Date
Pavel> Hi!
> If you want to migrate programs between machines, run UMLinux, same
> config, on both machines. Ouch and you'll need swsusp for UMLinux,
> too
>>
>> That might be more important than you think.

Pavel> :-). Well, it is also harder than you probably think, because
Pavel> UML is *very* strange architecture and it is not at all easy to
Pavel> save/restore its state. There were some patches in that area,
Pavel> but it never worked (AFAIK).

... but there are many people who dream about swsusp for UMLinux.

Particularly some laptop users who want to suspend (at least the most
critical long-running applications) and/or find Linux way too unstable
and requiring frequent reboots.

The day UMLinux gets swsusp, I'm moving my XEmacs, mozilla and some
other toys into a UML machine and staying there. Hopefully then a single
problem with a USB driver, keventd running wild, or other frequently
encountered breakage won't be taking my entire world down.

--J.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.147 / U:0.040 seconds]