SubjectRe: 2.4.22pre6aa1
On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 12:27:50AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> bigpages= is a documented API that has to be used in production, so I
> can easily add the hugetlbfs API but I guess I've to keep this one
> anyways. I also would need to verify the performance of hugetlbfs before
> suggesting migrating to it, for example I don't want
> preallocation/prefaulting (IIRC hugetlbfs preallocates everything). I
> also like the single huge array of page pointers, that is very hardwired
> but optimal for those workloads.

Most of the complaints I've gotten are about lack of support for mixed
PSE and non-PSE mappings, not preallocation or performance (generally
its usage doesn't involve creation/destruction cycle performance
requirements, and most of the time they intend to use 100% of the memory).

It's basically too stupid and operating on too small a data set to
screw up performance-wise apart from creation/destruction, which is not
intended to be performant (and will never be; it blits oversized areas).

I wouldn't mind hearing of what you believe is missing, so long as it's
within the constraints of what's mergeable. =(

-- wli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.039 / U:0.344 seconds]