    SubjectRe: Bug in open() function (?)
    > >        O_TRUNC
    > > If the file already exists and is a regular file
    > > and the open mode allows writing (i.e., is O_RDWR
    > > or O_WRONLY) it will be truncated to length 0. If
    > > the file is a FIFO or terminal device file, the
    > > O_TRUNC flag is ignored. Otherwise the effect of
    > > O_TRUNC is unspecified.
    >
    > A late addition to this thread, but all of these systems DO truncate with
    >
    > O_RDONLY | O_TRUNC:
    >
    > Solaris 8
    > Tru64 5.1B
    > HP-UX 11.22
    > FreeBSD 4.7
    >
    > Although this flag combination is left unspecified by SUSv3, I don't
    > know of an implementation that DOESN'T truncate in these circumstances.

    Yes, when we talked about it I checked a few Linux versions, Solaris 5.7, 5.8,
    and Irix 6.5 and they all truncate.

    So, the standard says "unspecified" but the industry consensus is clearly
    "truncate", never mind the O_RDONLY.

    Probably the "unspecified" is there for a good reason, so people should be
    able to find systems that do not truncate, but there is no reason at all
    for Linux to change behaviour.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.020 / U:1.644 seconds]