    Subject"noht" (RE: ACPI patches updated (20030714))
    Date
    "noht" turns out to be tricky for ACPI in practice.

    ACPI really shouldn't tinker with or skip LAPIC enumeration. It can't rely
    on the table LAPIC ids to get packge numbers, and it can't rely on the BIOS
    to have MPS implemented to enumerate physical processors.

    The only reliable way to get the logical/physical mapping is the way
    init_intel() does it today -- run CPUID locally on that logical processor
    after it is up and running.

    So if the kernel is to disable HT, the proper way would be to initialize all
    the logical processors, have them identify themselves, and then optionally
    take themselves off-line. A possiblity for 2.6.

    BIOS SETUP remains the preferred way to disable HT. If the hardware is
    implemented such that duplicated resources could be combined when HT is
    disabled, only the BIOS would be able to do that -- so single threaded
    performance with Linux implemented 'noht' might lag performance with BIOS
    implemented 'noht'...

    Given that 'noht' is workaround for a missing BIOS switch, I'm not confident
    it is a win to burden the Linux kernel with it.

    Cheers,
    -Len

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:7.107 / U:0.000 seconds]