    SubjectRe: modules problems with 2.6.0 (module-init-tools-0.9.12)
    On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 15:22, Randy.Dunlap wrote:

    I heard that if you install the new module-init-tools package in
    /sbin that you would be able to boot old kernels. Is that true?

    I installed the module-init-tools package and it went to /usr/local.
    First I changed the kernel Makefile to point to /usr/local then
    I had module problems and tried copying the cmds to /sbin and
    renamed the the old commands like implied in the script:

    generate-modprobe.conf

    Yesterday I heard I better move them back or I won't be able
    to boot my old kernels. It's hard to believe that these tools
    aren't backward compatible.

    Moving the module-init-tools to /sbin didn't help my problem;
    is it necessary/helpful. Perhaps they are only needed for
    building the new kernels.

    -piet

    piet@www.piet.net