SubjectRe: [patch] SCHED_SOFTRR starve-free linux scheduling policy ...
At 02:51 PM 7/13/2003 -0700, Davide Libenzi wrote:

>This should (hopefully) avoid other tasks starvation exploits :

Yes, that ~works. I couldn't starve root to death as a SCHED_SOFTRR user,
but the system was very sluggish, with keystrokes taking uncomfortably
long. I also had some sound skips due to inheritance. If I activate
xmms's gl visualization under load, it inherits SCHED_SOFTRR, says "oink"
in a very deep voice, and other xmms threads expire. Maybe tasks shouldn't
While testing, I spotted something pretty strange. It's not specific to
SCHED_SOFTRR, SCHED_RR causes it too. If I fire up xmms's gl visualization
with either policy, X stops getting enough sleep credit to stay at a usable
priority even when cpu usage is low. Fully repeatable weirdness. See
attached top snapshots.

-Mike [unhandled content-type:application/octet-stream]