SubjectRe: Thoughts wanted on merging Software Suspend enhancements
Hi!

> > > Magic key? Do you mean a password? I suppose that could be a
> >
> > Documentation/sysrq.txt. Magic sysrq driver will answer some
> > interesting questions like "how to press esc on the serial line", etc,
> > and it is also /proc configurable.
>
> Oh so you just be having (eg) to press SysRq-Escape? Isn't that just
> security by obscurity? I'd rather go for the password idea. Sounds like

No, you don't understand.

Magic SysRq is well known mechanism for torturing running
kernel. Kernel hackers have it enabled, security-consious people have
it disabled, and it is /proc-tweakable. It also works in cases like
"the only keyboard on serial terminal", etc.

> 1.0 tomorrow unless there's anything big in the meantime.

Don't let Esc issue block 1.0, but I do not want to see Esc in 2.5.X.

Pavel
[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]