SubjectPromise fasttrack raid, changed disk, unable to boot.
Date
Hello,
For the previos year i have been using the promise fasttrack 100 to controll 4
disks. I mirrored 2 75gig drives and 2 80gig drives. Recently one of the 75
gig drives died on me. This particular mirroring array was the system array.
So i replaced the disk with an 80 gig one and duplicated it. Now i an unable
to boot with the previos kernel 2.4.19. But i can boot with the 2.4.18 kernel
which was provided to be by my distrabution. I have comiled 2.4.19 and 2.4.20
on the machine itself and another machine to see if i could get one of them
to work, but i can not. During boot up something like this is listed

ataraid/d0 then the partitions are listed. such as ataraid/d0p1
then the drives are listed
drive0 is 733XXX mb
raid0 consists of 1 drive.

That is how it looks with the new disk plugged in. But if i unplug it.
it will look like this:

drive0 is 733xxx mb
drive1 is 733xxx mb <--- this tells me that there is something either in the
kernel or in the system that is telling the kernel what the old disk used to
be.

I am completly lost and hope that someone else has an idea of what i should
do. BTW I have compiled my kernel statically, while the distos 2.4.18 was
modules, if that makes any difference.

Thank you,
Paul

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.072 / U:0.100 seconds]