SubjectRe: 2.5.74-mm3 OOM killer fubared ?

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 12:54:01PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> But that will only change the rate at which processes are killed,
> not the fact that they are killed in the first place, right ?
> As I said I've got plenty memory free ... perhaps I need to tune
> /proc/sys/vm because I've got so much streaming I/O ? Possibly,
> there are too many dirty pages so cleaning them out faster might
> help (and let pflushd do it instead of my single-threaded app)

That's not what it's supposed to do. The thought behind it is that since
out_of_memory()'s count is not reset unless it's been 5s since the last
time this was ever invoked, it will happen on a regular basis after the
first kill if it is invoked regularly. It's actually a bit too late,
since something's already been killed, but it should make a larger
difference than merely altering the rate.

-- wli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.070 / U:0.160 seconds]