SubjectRe: 2.5.70-mm6
Date
On Monday 09 June 2003 18:45, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> > . -mm kernels will be running at HZ=100 for a while. This is because
> > the anticipatory scheduler's behaviour may be altered by the lower
> > resolution. Some architectures continue to use 100Hz and we need the
> > testing coverage which x86 provides.
>
> The interactivity seems to have dropped. Again, with common desktop
> applications: xmms playing with ALSA, when choosing navigating through
> evolution options or browsing with opera, music skipps.
> X is running with nice -10, but with mm5 it ran smoothly.

[alistair] 07:02 PM [~] uname -r
2.5.70-mm6

For what it's worth, I'm running an LFS base system with very few packages
installed over the top. X is as packaged, it is not reniced. I am, however,
running setiathome constantly in the background, which seems to pound the
scheduler.

As Maciej reported, this seems to be significantly better with -mm5 (HZ =
1000?). Amusingly, doing a renice -20 `pidof xmms` seems to make absolutely
no difference to the scheduler in 2.5-mm.

This kernel does not have preempt enabled.

Cheers,
Alistair.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.101 / U:0.432 seconds]