    SubjectRe: patch-O1int-0306281420 for 2.5.73 interactivity
    On Mon, 2003-06-30 at 07:35, Con Kolivas wrote:

    > A patch to reduce audio skipping and X jerking under load.

    Can't make XMMS skip audio with "while true; do a = 2; done" while
    playing moving windows under an X session.

    > It's looking seriously like I'm talking to myelf here, but just in case there
    > are lurkers testing this patch, there's a big bug that made it think jiffy
    > wraparound was occurring so interactive tasks weren't receiving the boost
    > they deserved. Here is a patch with the fix in.

    Well, you're not talking to yourself. We're listening and testing:
    2.5.73-mm2 + patch-O1int + patch-granularity + patch-1000HZ. With this
    new version of the patch, the mouse cursor jumpiness has returned again,
    altough in much less extent than in previous versions: it's more
    difficult to reproduce, but it's present just when logging onto my KDE
    session on a Red Hat Linux 9 box. For the rest of the session, it's
    pretty hard difficult to make the mouse cursor to turn jumpy.

    > How to use if you're still thinking of testing:
    > Use with Hz 1000, and use the granularity patch I posted as well for smoothing
    > X off.

    Under heavy load (3 simulatenous consoles doing while true; do a=2;
    done), X feels smooth, but moving windows aggresively, makes X go jerky
    for a few seconds and some process do starve a little when repainting.

    Anyways, at a first glance, it looks really good :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.021 / U:89.348 seconds]