SubjectRe: File System conversion -- ideas
John Bradford wrote:
> It's usually more flexible just to partition the space you need, and
> add more partitions when necessary. For typical desktop use, swap
> isn't even necessary with 1 GB of physical RAM.

Partitions are never the right size when you fill one up.

I used to do what you describe, and got fed up when I had too many
strange symbolic links around, things like

/var/www -> /disk2/www
/var/log/httpd -> /disk2/httpd_logs
/home/jamie -> /disk2/jamie
/home/jamie/downloads -> /disk3/jamie_downloads

etc.

It seemed simpler to have one filesystem, and indeed it was.

(Now I have two drives at home I am back to the above, unfortunately.
At least the laptop is nice and simple, as it can only have 1 drive :)

Also, on a dedicated server I still use symbolic links between
partitions as it is too risky to try rearranging the partitions
remotely, and too expensive to rent more disk space.

-- Jamie

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.042 / U:0.036 seconds]