    SubjectRe: bkbits.net is down
    Am Son, 2003-06-29 um 12.24 schrieb Mr. James W. Laferriere:

    > > Which are 300Mbytes/minute, still faster than many tapes.
    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    > 5MB/Sec is faster than MOST tapes drivs ? Or ???
    > If you are talking older scsi-2 or 1 drives yes .
    > But on a properly tuned system any of the newer tape drives s/b
    > able beat that hands down .

    To cite a popular manufacturer directly from the homepage:
    "... and a data transfer rate of up to 5 megabytes per second"

    Please note the "up to" and that this drive is an affordable latest
    generation ADR streamer.

    Last time I looked the speed was still specified per minute since they
    are (were?) so slow. Also note than an iPod has a data transfer rate of
    5MB/s, modern drives (even when crammed into an USB2/Firewire casing)
    beat that by a magnitude yet are a whole lot cheaper than a good
    streamer.

    FWIW: The streamer in my office is in the happy 100MB/m (compressed)
    league.

    Streamers are only interesting for lots of data, for normal use they're
    not only too slow but also too expensive.

    > I'd like to see a raising hands that have this functional at
    > anywhere near line (60% is close enough) rate ?

    Check tomshardware or whatever magazine you prefer to read. Modern cases
    (like the ones with the Oxford chipsets) deliver almost the same
    performance as a built-in controller.

    --
    Servus,
    Daniel

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:40    [W:4.395 / U:0.016 seconds]