    SubjectRe: DVB Include files
    Hello Alan and others,

    >>So you don't recompile, but you still changed the magic ioctl numbers
    >>from 17 to 47 and from 18 to 48. Old binaries don't work any more,
    >>even though the same semantics are still present. That is an
    >>incompatible change in my book.
    >>
    >>Worse if there is a new semantic for 17 or 18, in that case the old
    >>binaries may break randomly, depending on kernel version.
    >

    > Sure but you keep old ones around once its stable. This is a completely
    > pointless conversation to have before 2.6.0-test kernels. There isnt a
    > stable in kernel dvb api yet because its not been shipped in a stable
    > kernel.
    >
    > (Although I'd note the api has been as stable if not more stable than
    > some in kernel stuff 8))

    Amen. That's exactly the point -- the v3 dvb api is stable and hasn't
    changed for a long time.

    So, to make a long story short:

    In include/linux/dvb we have the headers that are shared between user
    applications and the kernel driver. As I said above, these are stable and
    never change for the v3 api. In an ideal world, these header files would
    be included in your glibc distribution at /usr/include/linux/dvb
    Currently, you must copy them by hand or create a symlink, because there
    hasn't been an official kernel with the dvb driver subsystem yet.

    The whole discussion was about the *in-kernel* header files in
    drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core. These are used in drivers/media/dvb/frontends
    for example, so we currently have one line in the Makefile that says to
    have drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core in the include path.

    This was the original point Sam Ravnborg was wondering about. It's safe to
    move these files to inlude/dvb and get rid of the magic line in the
    Makefile.

    CU
    Michael.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.021 / U:90.968 seconds]