    SubjectRe: AMD MP, SMP, Tyan 2466
    registers simply buffer the address and control signals going to and from
    a module. On server boards the issue has more to do with trace length and
    electrical loading than anything else... One of the issues you encounter
    on server boards more than elsewere is larger more complicated memory
    modules things like 36 chip double stack ecc 1 and 2gb dimms, or a large
    number of dimm modules overall (like 4-8 slots rather than 1-4).

    joelja

    On 26 Jun 2003, Edward Tandi wrote:

    > The point I was trying to make is that the registers are there to deal
    > with an SMP race condition of some sort. Athlon MP motherboards fitted
    > with two processors will not work properly without 'registered' RAM. I
    > have hard experience of this and it this experience I am sharing with
    > someone who is seeing the same symptoms.
    >
    > Ed-T.
    >

    > -

    Joel Jaeggli Academic User Services joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
    -- PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E --
    resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:36    [W:0.038 / U:0.848 seconds]